Saturday, December 29, 2012

Looking Back on 2012...



Not only did the world not end, but it was a pretty damn good year for the music world. Here are ten(ish) of my favorites from 2012 (in no particular order) and a d/l link. Hit the jump and enjoy some awesome music.


10. Pryda - Allein
I just love the build up of this song. With the "Allein, Allein" chorus in the background, it makes for a great party song. 




9. Kid Cudi - Just What I Am (feat. King Chip)
Notice how this is the only song that I actually put who was featured in the song. King Chip (aka Chip Tha Ripper) takes this song to the next level. He spit what was probably my favorite hip-hop verse of the year. Like Goldie (see below) this song's music video really improved my image of this song and it was all directed by Kid Cudi himself. I can't wait for Cudi's new Indicud album because he's back to the Cudder that I fuckin' love. "Neighbor knockin' on the door, askin' can we turn it down. I said ain't no music on. She said nah that weed is loud."



8.Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools
2012 was a big year for Kendrick Lamar. From Compton to Hollywood, this guy has really blown up over the past two years. Section.80 was huge in the underground world but this song brought Kendrick from being the big underground artist he was to the mainstream vein and even to clubs on the weekends.




6. A$AP Rocky - Goldie & Fuckin' Problems
I used to be the biggest Lil Wayne fan you'd ever seen, if you told me any song by him I could rap you the whole damn thing. I still am a huge Lil Wayne fan, but unfortunately, since Riker's he has just not been the same. In the mean time, I've taken my interest to A$AP Rocky. This dude has released some killer tracks in the past year/year and a half. If you haven't gotten his debut mixtape go grab it, it's worth your time. His new album leaked a few weeks ago and these are the two singles off of it. The music video is what really set this song off for me. All of the video was directed by A$AP which just makes it that much better. Fuckin' Problems was just destined to be a great track. With A$AP, Drake, and K.Dot all on the same track, you just can't lose. 




5. Dada Life - Kick Out The Epic Motherfucker
One word: drop. This song has a more "epic" drop than I have ever heard (debatable). Dada Life's "Rules of Dada" was a hell of an album, one of my favorites from 2012. I'll be interested to see what this duo can churn out in the upcoming year. 




4. Swedish House Mafia - Greyhound & Don't You Worry Child
Don't think I could make this list without having Swedish House somewhere on this list. Whenever I hear Greyhound I think of those multicolored robotic dogs racing from the Absolut Vodka commercial. Don't You Worry Child had to be on this list because it may be the last single released by the Swedish House monster trio. What has two thumbs and is going to be pissed if that's true? This guy. 





3. Nari & Milani - Atom
Absolute bomb drop with that hard bass synth, I still get chills every time I hear it. Ever since Swedish House debuted it, it hasn't left my "recently played" on iTunes. It also made an appearance on the new Tomorrowland video and it was hilarious watching all of the newbies trying to figure out which song it was. 




2. deadmau5 - The Veld
Just an awesome, chill, progressive house track from the mouse. Chris James' vocals are just perfect for this track too.




1. Porter Robinson - Language
I know I said that these were in no particular order, but this was easily my favorite track of 2012. How do yo not love it? Kid's younger than I am making house tracks that hang up there with the top dawgs. He blew up in 2012 and if he keeps making tracks like this, he's gonna be a serious problem for the entire electronic industry.

1 comment: